Research Partners Director, Claire Tyers, was involved in two major projects for the Health and Safety Executive and the Olympic Delivery Authority. These focussed on Europe’s largest public works and housing projects – the Olympic Park and Athletes’ Village in Stratford. The research involved:
- a three year study evaluating the Occupational Health provision offered to workers involved in the building works, including construction workers, drivers, security staff and management (awaiting publication)
- examining leadership and worker involvement initiatives in place on the sites (including the role of the Olympic Delivery Authority) and their impact on the projects’ health and safety performance (http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/rrpdf/rr896.pdf).
Claire also directed, managed and worked on a range of projects for the Health and Safety Executive during her time as Associate Director at the Institute for Employment Studies. These projects included examination of:
- innovative approaches to occupational health provision
- how best to support SMEs fulfil their occupational health and safety obligations
- health and safety within the construction industry, including the role of management and leadership, worker involvement and supply chains
- stress management, and the implementation of the HSE’s stress management standards
- occupational health risks within a range of sectors, including transportation, manufacturing and motor vehicle repair
- managing sickness absence within the police force.
Details of the HSE’s research output, including projects authored by Claire can be found on their website in their Research pages: http://www.sro.hse.gov.uk/PublicPages/ShowRPD.aspx