Claire has 20 years of varied project management experience in research, handling large and complex contracts for a range of clients, providing solid evidence and recommendations to decision makers in the public and private sectors.
Before setting up Research Partners, Claire spent 12 years working for the Institute for Employment Studies (IES), which is the UK’s leading independent centre for research and evidence-based consultancy in employment, labour market and human resource policy and practice. Over her last five years at IES, Claire helped the charity to establish itself as a major contributor to research on work and well-being, and left IES as an Associate Director running a research team dedicated to this topic. Claire is an Associate of Learning and Work Institute and Roffey Park Institute of Management.
Examples of some of her recent publications and reports are provided below:
- Aldridge F, Tyers C, Smeaton D and Klenk H (2019) Learning at Life Transitions: Supporting learners returning to work or preparing to retire, Further Education Trust for Leadership
- Tyers C and Sinclair A (awaiting publication) Learning and development for family/unpaid carers of children/young people with a learning disability and/or autism: rapid evidence review and mapping study, Skills for Care
- Tyers C and Aston J (2019) Evaluation of CLIC Sargent Nurse Educators, Interim Report, CLIC Sargent
- Tyers C (2019) Be the Change Evaluation reports for Crawley, Brighton and Chichester mentoring programmes, Love Local Jobs
- Tyers C (2018) Survey of Registered Managers: What do they do and who are they?, Skills for Care
- Chrysalis Research (with contribution by Claire Tyers) (2018) Living Well Evaluation, Final Report, North Yorkshire County Council
- Tyers C and Aston J (2015) Macmillan Cancer Support: Work Support Service Evaluation, Macmillan Cancer Support
During her time at IES, Claire established a long publication record reflecting her broad research interests, and which is reflected in the further examples below:
- Tyers C, Speckesser S, Hicks B, Baxter K, Gilber M and Ball E (2012) Occupational Hygiene at the Olympic Park and Athletes’ Village: Can workplace health management be cost effective? Institute for Employment Studies Report No. 497.
- Tyers C and Hicks B (2012) Occupational Health Provision on the Olympic Park and Athlete’s Village: Final Report, Health and Safety Executive Research Report 921.
- Sinclair A, Martin R, Tyers C (2012), Occupational Health Advice Lines Evaluation: Final Report. Research Report 793, Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).
- Sinclair A, Oakley J, Hicks B, Tyers C (2011), Evaluation of the ‘Salus & Co.’ captures and cartoon strips. Research Report 488, Institute for Employment Studies.
- Lucy D, Tamkin T, Tyers C and Hicks B (2011) Leadership and Worker Involvement on the Olympic Park, Research Report 896, Health and Safety Executive (HSE).
- Sinclair A, Carta E and Tyers C (2011) Evaluation of the Occupational Health Advice Lines pilot: Interim findings, Department of Work and Pensions Research Summary.
- Sinclair A, Tyers C, Hunt W, Oakley J, Pearmain D, Savage J, Bust P, Gibb A (2011), Evaluation of the Duty to Manage Asbestos, Research Report 783, Health and Safety Executive (HSE).
- Tyers C, Lucy D, Carta E, Savage J, Kossykh Y, Bailey Y (2010) Workplace Health Connect Pilot: Evaluation Findings. Research Report, Health and Safety Executive.
- Wilson S and Tyers C (2010) Evidence Review on Regulation Culture and Behaviours, Unit Report 12, Food Standards Agency.
- Lucy D, Tyers C, Savage J (2010) Healthy Workplaces Milton Keynes Pilot: Evaluation Findings, Health and Safety Executive Research Report 809.
- Wilson S, Tyers C, Carta E (2010) Moving Goods Safely 3: Evaluation Report, Health and Safety Executive Research Report 796.
- Broughton A, Sumpton F, Jagger N and Tyers C (2010) Determining current health and safety practices, awareness of HSE initiatives and economic trends in relation to isocyanate paint use in the MVR sector, Health and Safety Executive Research Report 802.
- Tyers C, Broughton A, Denvir A, Wilson S, O’Regan S (2009) Organisational Responses to the HSE Management Standards for Work-related Stress: Progress of the Sector Implementation Plan Phase 1. Research Report RR693, Health and Safety Executive
- Tyers C, Martin R (2009) Is well-being still important at work? Employers’ views on recession, the new fit note and priorities for the year ahead, Opinion Paper OP17, Institute for Employment Studies
- Broughton A, Tyers C, Wilson S, O’Regan S (2009). Managing Stress and Sickness Absence: Progress of the Sector Implementation Plan Phase 2, Health and Safety Executive Research Report 694
- Sinclair A, Hill D, Tyers C (2008) Irish and Non-Irish National Construction Workers: Research on differences in approach to health and safety at work. Health and Safety Authority (Ireland)
- Cox A, O’Regan S, Denvir A, Broughton A, Pearmain D, Tyers C, Hillage J (2008) What Works in Delivering Improved Health and Safety Outcomes: A Review of the Existing Evidence. Research Report RR654, Health and Safety Executive
- Hill D, Lucy D, Tyers C, James L (2007) What Works at Work? Review of evidence assessing the effectiveness of workplace interventions to prevent and manage common health problems. Health Work Wellbeing Executive
- Hayday S, Broughton A, Tyers C (2007) Managing Sickness Absence in the Police Service: A Review of Current Practices, Health and Safety Executive Research Report RR582
- Tyers C, Sinclair A, Rick J, with Lucy D, Cowling M, Gordon-Dseagu V (2007) Constructing Better Health: Final Evaluation Report. Research Report RR565, Health and Safety Executive
- O’Regan S, Tyers C, Hill D, Gordon-Dseagu V, with Rick J (2007) Taking Risks with Asbestos: What Influences the Behaviour of Maintenance Workers? Research Report RR558, Health and Safety Executive
- Pollard E, Tyers C, Tuohy S, Cowling M (2007) Assessing the Net Added Value of Advice and Guidance. Research Report RR825A, Department for Education and Skills
- Tackey N D, Casebourne J, Aston J, Ritchie H, Sinclair A, Tyers C, Hurstfield J, Willison R, Page R (2006) Barriers to Employment for Pakistanis and Bangladeshis in Britain.
Research Report DWPRR 360, Department for Work and Pensions
- Tyers C, Bates P (2006) Learner Support Funds: Second Evaluation. Report RW78, Department for Education and Skills
- Tyers C, Connor H, Pollard E, Bates P, Hunt W (2006) Welsh Graduates and their Jobs: Employment and Employability in Wales. Higher Education Funding Council for Wales
- Bates P, Tyers C, Loukas G (2006). The Labour Market for Graduates in Scotland. SE1726, Futureskills Scotland
- Finch S, Jones A, Parfrement J, Cebulla A (NatCen), Connor H, Hillage J, Pollard E, Tyers C, Hunt W, Loukas G (IES) (2006) Student Income and Expenditure Survey 2004/05. Research Report RR725, Department for Education and Skills
- Tyers C and Sinclair A (2005) Intermediate Impacts of Advice and Guidance. Research Report RR638, Department for Education and Skills
- Barber L, Hill D, Hirsh W, Tyers C (2005) Fishing for Talent in a Wider Pool: Trends and Dilemmas in Corporate Graduate Recruitment. Report 421, Institute for Employment Studies
- Tyers C, Sinclair A (2004) Tracking learning outcomes: Evaluation of the impact of Ufi. Research Report RR569, Department for Education and Skills
- Connor H, Tyers C, Modood T, Hillage J (2004) Why the Difference? A closer look at higher education minority ethnic students and graduates. Research Report RR552, Department for Education and Skills
- Tyers C, Aston J, Barkworth R, Willison R, Taylor J (2003) Evaluation of Adult Guidance Pilots. Research Report RR491, Department for Education and Skills
- Tyers C, Perryman S, Barber L (2003). Measuring Up: Benchmarking Graduate Retention. Report 401, Institute for Employment Studies
- Tamkin P, Hirsh W, Tyers C (2003) Chore to Champions: the making of better people managers. Report 389, Institute for Employment Studies
- Tyers C, Aston J (2002). What Difference Did it Make? Impact of the Adult and Community Learning Fund. National Institute of Adult Continuing Education
- Meager N, Tyers C, Perryman S, Rick J, Willison R (2002) Awareness, Knowledge and Exercise of Individual Employment Rights. Employment Relations Research Series ERRS15, Department of Trade and Industry
- Connor H, Dewson S, with Tyers C, Eccles J, Regan J, Aston J (2001) Social Class and Higher Education: issues affecting decisions on participation by lower social class groups. Research Report RR267, Department for Education and Employment