Jane has 15 years of policy research experience, and is a Research Associate at Research Partners. Previously, she worked at the Institute for Employment Studies for 12 years, leaving as a Senior Research Fellow in 2010.
Jane has managed many evaluations and studies using qualitative and quantitative methodologies on a range of issues including disability and the labour market, long-term unemployment, mental health and wellbeing, and the effectiveness of equalities legislation in promoting access, opportunity and social inclusion.
Her particular expertise lies in conducting qualitative evaluations and research to inform policy, including studies on sensitive topics. Jane has carried out interviews and focus groups with people with a wide range of disabilities and health conditions, including people with learning difficulties and mental health conditions. Her skills and experience encompass the full range of research tasks; management of complex projects, working with clients and stakeholders, research tool design, carrying out complex interviews and focus groups, data analysis, report writing, and presenting findings to a range of audiences.
Some examples of Jane’s work at IES are listed below with links to the published reports:
- Two waves of a qualitative evaluation of Employment and Support Allowance which included interviews with customers and Jobcentre Plus staff. http://research.dwp.gov.uk/asd/asd5/rports2009-2010/rrep719.pdf and http://www.employment-studies.co.uk/pdflibrary/dwp631.pdf
- Two studies exploring the impact of the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) on organisations, including their employment practices and their provision of goods and services to disabled people, awareness and adjustments made. http://research.dwp.gov.uk/asd/asd5/rports2009-2010/rrep685.pdf and http://research.dwp.gov.uk/asd/asd5/rports2007-2008/rrep410.pdf
- A qualitative study exploring landlords and disabled tenants’ knowledge of the DDA provisions with respect to housing. http://research.dwp.gov.uk/asd/asd5/rports2007-2008/rrep429.pdf
- Two waves of a study exploring the post-16 transitions of young people with Special Educational Needs, which involved 360 degree qualitative case study work with young people, their families, support workers and other stakeholders.
http://www.employment-studies.co.uk/pdflibrary/rr582.pdf and http://www.employment-studies.co.uk/pdflibrary/rr655.pdf
In the course of her career, Jane has published numerous reports on behalf of a range of different clients. The examples provided below provide a broader overview of her experience:
- Barnes H, Aston J and Williams C (2010). Employment and Support Allowance: Customer and staff experiences of the face-to-face Work Capability Assessment and Work- Focused Health-Related Assessment. Research Report DWPRR 719, Office for Disability Issues
- Dewson S, Williams C, Aston J, Carta E, Willison R, Martin R (2010). Organisations’ Responses to the DDA 2009. Research Report DWPRR 685, Office for Disability Issues
- Barnes H, Sissons P, Aston J, Dewson S, Stevens H, Williams C, Francis R (2010). Employment and Support Allowance: Early implementation experiences of customers and staff. Research Report 631, Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)
- Aston J (2009) Evaluation of Access to Work: Individual Budget Pilot Strand, Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) Research Report 620.
- Aston J, Bellis A, Munro M, Pillai R, Willison R (2009) Evaluation of Partners Outreach for Ethnic Minorities (POEM) Final Report, Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) Research Report 598.
- Sainsbury R, IrvineA, Aston J, WilsonS, Williams C, Sinclair A (2008). Mental Health and Employment. Research Report DWPRR 513, Department for Work and Pensions
- Aston J, Hooker H, Page R and Willison R (2007), Pakistani and Bangladeshi women’s attitudes to work and family, DWP Research Report 458.
- Aston J, Hill D, Williams C (2007). Landlords’ Responses to the Disability Discrimination Act. Research Report DWPRR 429, Department for Work and Pensions
- Simm C, Aston J, Williams C, Hill D, Bellis A, Meager N (2007). Organisations’ Responses to the Disability Discrimination Act. Research Report DWPRR 410, Department for Work and Pensions
- Tackey N D, Casebourne J, Aston J, Ritchie H, Sinclair A, Tyers C, Hurstfield J, Willison R, Page R (2006). Barriers to Employment for Pakistanis and Bangladeshis in Britain. Research Report DWPRR 360, Department for Work and Pensions
- Aston J, Hill D, Tackey N D (2006). The Experience of Claimants in Race Discrimination Employment Tribunal Cases. Employment Relations Research Series ERRS55, Department of Trade and Industry
- Aston J, Dewson S, Loukas G, Dyson A (2005). Post-16 Transitions: a Longitudinal Study of Young People with Special Educational Needs: (Wave Three). Research Report RR655, Department for Education and Skills
- Aston J, Willison R, Davis S, Barkworth R (2005). Employers and the New Deal for Disabled People: Qualitative Research, Second Wave. Research Report DWPRR 231, Department for Work and Pensions
- Aston J, Clegg M, Diplock E, Ritchie H, Willison R (2005). Interim Update of Key Indicators of Women’s Position in Britain . URN 04/191, Women and Equality Unit, Department of Trade and Industry
- Dewson S, Aston J, Bates P, Ritchie H, Dyson Prof. A (2004). Post-16 Transitions: a Longitudinal Study of Young People with Special Educational Needs: Wave Two. Research Report RR582, Department for Education and Skills
- Bates P, Aston J (2004). Overcoming Barriers to Adult Basic Skills in Sussex. Sussex Learning and Skills Council
- Hurstfield J, Meager N, Aston J, Davies J, Mann K, Mitchell H, O’Regan S, Sinclair A (2004). Monitoring the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) 1995: Phase 3. Department for Work and Pensions, and Disability Rights Commission
- Tyers C, Aston J, Barkworth R, Willison R, Taylor J (2003). Evaluation of Adult Guidance Pilots. Research Report RR491, Department for Education and Skills
- Aston J, Atkinson J, Evans C, Davis S, O’Regan S (2003). Employers and the New Deal for Disabled People: Qualitative Research, First Wave. Report WAE145, Department for Work and Pensions
- Tyers C, Aston J (2002). What Difference Did it Make? Impact of the Adult and Community Learning Fund. National Institute of Adult Continuing Education
- Aston J, Willison R, Kodz J (2001). Evaluation of New Deal 50plus: Qualitative Evidence from Clients: Third phase. Research Report ESR99, Employment Service
- Aston J, (1999) ‘Ambitions and Destinations: The careers and retrospective views of art and design graduates and postgraduates’, in The Journal of Art and Design Education, Vol 18.2.
- Aston J, Blackwell A, Williamson E, Williams A, Harvey L, Plimmer L, Bowes L, Moon S, Owen B (1998), The 1998 Report on the Student Experience at UCE. Centre for Research into Quality, Birmingham.